Tuesday, August 24, 2010

8/24/2010 My Roosevelt High School 35 Year Reunion

I have not done paperwork all summer and now school starts next week
and I have ONE DAY to try to get twenty hours of work done.
Bleh. Terry took the boys camping up to Sol Duc Hot Springs
and they'll be back Thursday.
So what a great high school reunion we had last week.
It was by far the best out of all the reunions
we have ever had.
I think it is because I didn't drink any devil water
so I remember everyone that came very clearly.
I carpooled down with Molly McClean,
who is the most wonderful person in the world
as far as I can tell.
She looked so cute in her black tank top
and red sequined mini-skirt and red high heels.
I was on the planning committee this time so I got
scheduled to greet people from 7:00Pm on.
At one of the meetings last month, one of the committee
members said a person they called to invite to the reunion
said that they did not feel like the greeters were that
friendly at our thirty year reunion.
I think we let the Reunions With Class people greet last time
so we decided to add ourselves to beef up the aloha level a notch.
I was very serious about my duty greeting
even though I was starving to death.
I had had a few weeks to ponder what made me feel the
most welcomed and loved
and I decided a big hug usually got me
feeling the best.
So after the people signed in and turned around
I rushed at them and gave them a hello
and I giant hug.
I'm pretty sure I frightened a few people
that did not remember me from high school.
But most didn't seem to care if they knew me or not.
They enjoyed some love.
In this dog-eat-dog world
it is good to know you are valued.
Jeanne and Margo and John did a great job as Masters of Ceremonies
and it was a warm, gorgeous night!
The UW Faculty club was swanky without pretension
and the view of the Husky Stadium
and Portage Bay was spectacular.
When I got done greeting after an hour and a half
I was plum worn out.
I ate with Molly, Marta, Marcia, Vida and Lynn
then mingled as much as possible.
Mostly with my Latin Club pal, Marie McGarry
since she lives in California and I never see her
except at reunions.
When I was president of the geeky Latin Club
senior year, she was the vice president
and we'd drive to all the other high schools in her
dads metallic blue convertible Cadillac with fins
to visit with other Junior Classical Leagues.
We had so much fun and would laugh non-stop in 1975!
By ten, my feet had huge blisters from my
oh-so-cute black leather high heeled sandals
and I had to wrap it up and couldn't even dance. :(
Molly had to get up early to go fishing with Marty anyway
and wanted to go, so we just slipped out.
We ran into my good pals Tom and Aime and
poor Aime girl was on her lips!
Tom was sort of half-carrying her to their
car so Molly and I helped.
I had the weirdest dream that night Mr. Blog.
All one hundred and twenty five people that showed up
were sitting together on risers
only when I backed up to take a better look,
it was giant God Fingers in a terraced
position so we could all fit.
I could see us
but I could also see myself sitting near Molly and Tom and Aime
and we were all smiling and laughing
like all of us were on some mild
carnival ride
that we just couldn't get enough of.

No comments:

Post a Comment