Saturday, August 7, 2010

8/7/2010 Dosewallips State Park or Can Someone Please Turn Down the Crows?

I had the best time this week at Dosewallips!
I had never taken Teddy and a friend before and he picked
his friend Krystian Keu and we had a wonderful time.
I'm so used to leading boys at camp that it seems really quiet
with only two instead of twenty!
We got there Monday at lunch time and set up campsite 127
in the loop near the group campsites.
The weather was hot and sunny and heavenly!
Ever been there?
It was a farm and orchard so it is perfectly flat and around
four hundred acres so we just rode bikes all day and night!
I swear the minute I jump on my bike it is 1963 and I am seven
and feeling the freedom and excitement of speed.
The river was too high to float safely so we just jumped in the
sheltered area to get refreshed.
It was about 35 degrees! Hahaha.
We did float the tide canals along Hood Canal and we
really enjoyed seeing all the seals and bald eagles.
I like the way the seals bark like dogs.
Orcas and seals were smart not to evolve out of the water!
I wish a branch of humans had stayed in and I'd be in
that pod for sure. We'd look like orcas only with fingers
so we could play underwater instruments.
I was dog-in-the-sun lazy when we got there
and bribed the boys with slurpees to set up my tent
and that worked out really well for me.
The boys loved making giant campfires every night!
I brought a bunch of wood from home and they made s'mores
and made up silly songs.
Long after I'd climb in my tent to read
I could hear them singing and laughing for hours on end.
I met the nicest campground hosts ever too!
Cathy and I forget her husband's name.
We had a wonderful chat about their campground host career
and she had an album about their drive to Alaska and hosting there.
I was very disgruntled that they have removed all pay phones
at Brinnon. It was always something I looked forward to.
Calling my sister or Terry and the kids from a campground.
I think everyone in the world has a cell phone but me Mr. Blog!
We played UNO for hours and cooked over the fire
and had pretty much a wonderful time.
I love that campground Mr. Blog.
It has all my favorite things:
biking, hiking, water, a beach and the most beautiful huge
maple trees I think I have ever seen anywhere in my life.
But, there are crows. Not as many as in Kookmore but
every morning the flock of crows was directly over my tent cawing!
I had to shout, "Would someone please turn down the crows?!"
There was a big sign telling about how the Roosevelt Elk
crossed from Asia to the Pacific NW 100,000 years ago
and how the Olympic Park has the biggest herd in America.
Thursday morning I woke up trying to think of when I could
visit in the fall to see those elk and then I fell back asleep.
When I woke up, the man across the way asked if I saw the elk
go past my tent!
I hadn't!
I dashed over to the meadow where the group was camping the previous
day and there they were!
About three dozen huge elk and four babies!
Sure looked funny when they were all standing around
the volleyball net!
Then they all plopped down for a morning rest.
The babies were so cute lying down with their long, spindly legs
that they folded up like a lawn chair!
So now I don't have to go in the fall or winter but
if I had a job and cash for the tent fee, I sure would
because I LOVE Dosewallips!

No comments:

Post a Comment