Thursday, July 22, 2010

7/21/2010 The Over the Hill & Rolling Down Gang of Pinehurst Pub

Drive in and
then popped over to Honda Power Sports
to drop off Tom's birthday card.
The old fart had just left but
Amie girl was there and I asked her for the
Reader's Digest condensed version of their
niece's wedding that she put on
since Margo and Laurie were in the van waiting for me.
Wowza Mr. Blog.
Aime is the most amazing woman God made Mr. Blog.
Now I met Tom in 1969 when we started
Eckstein junior high school and we were best pals
in high school with Brenda, Trisha and Deedee.
I knew who Aime was because she was best friends
with two of my Bryant elementary good friends,
Kim Norton and Carol Mastenbrook.
Out of the blue, a few years after high school I got a wedding
invitation to Tom and Aime's wedding!
VERY unlikely match to most people
but Trish and I went and it was the hugest
strange Greek wedding you have ever seen!
So Aime was working when I got there and I got an Aime hug
which should bring me good luck for at least a year
and she did give me the Reader's Digest condensed version
of their niece's wedding
and I left thinking that Tom and Aime Lambert are possibly
my favorite couple on this planet.
Margo and Laurie and I met up at Boudin's Pinehurst Pub
with Pam and Michelle and I was in a little bubble
of estrogen bliss.
A few weeks on the road with all men had made me feel
a little worn out and refreshed at the same time.
Just being with my home girls on a hot summer night
made life seem pretty darn perfect.
I knew who everyone was in high school
but I was in the survival mode to graduate
and didn't socialize much outside of the Latin Club
at Roosevelt so this last year of making friends
of old, old acquantences has been very special for me.
Our gang is headed by the lovely Pam Yates, and I call it Pam's Pub
since she invited me there for BINGO last winter and started
all these shenanigans.
With her is the ever-so-delightful Margo Serano
and the best-kept-secret friend, Michelle Moyes.
Sometimes Mimi Castillo joins us and the whole world is
always invited but only a handful of us show up for BINGO
a few times a month.
The owners of the bar are a really nice older couple
and usually the bawdy Linda does the BINGO calling.
She is so warm and friendly and saucy.
Last night some young gal around thirty was calling for her
and she looked like one of those people you'd expect to see
walking across a field of shamrocks in Ireland with that red hair,
blue eyes and freckles!
She did a fine job for a youngster and she'll be even
better when she has a few more decades under her belt.
Well, I was thirsty for girl-news and got the straight dope
on Michelle, and Margo.
I found out everything going on for them and our upcoming reunion.
I had to laugh that Margo had Trisha Bean Ostrander on her reunion
call list and Trisha told her she didn't want to go!
Hahahaha. I don't think ANYONE hated high school more than Trisha!
Margo seemed offended that she didn't want to go but high school
was a total nightmare for most people.
NOT ME!
I loved high school.
Junior high was my worst nightmare that scarred me for life.
By the time I got to high school I was so grateful to be there
that I kept my head down and minded my own business except
for Miss Engle's Latin Club.
God I loved The Junior Classical League and Miss Engle.
She was the ONLY adult in my life that gave me encouragement
to succeed.
Shame I never got a classroom teaching job because I would so
make sure every single kid succeeded in school and life.
So Margo just cracked me up with her reunion recruitment escapades.
We have rounded up one hundred people willing to go and I feel
horrible that the ten committee members put up fifty clams each
to finance this shindig.
If we don't have the last twenty-six people buy tickets they
all lose their cash!
Most have good jobs and can take the hit,
but Margo is on disability so it will be tough on her.
Regardless of the many challenges we all face,
Pam, Margo, Michelle and Laurie and I had a rip-snorting
time playing BINGO together!
It's a loud, rowdy, friendly little pub.
Most of the patrons are older like us
but there are quite a few kids in their
thirties and forties.
The Irish Rose calling did all the fancy games
like, make a kite, picture frame, speed round etc.
So we had drinks, will I only had one since I was the
designated driver, and we chatted and enjoyed the
companionship of a hot summer night
at the Pinehurst Pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment