Friday, September 24, 2010

9/24/2010 The Most Rejected Job Seeker in America

*Walks in dejectedly and falls on couch*
Oh Mr. Blog!
I didn't think you'd EVER get back from vacation.
I have been up and down like a yoyo.
Like Brenda says, "I'm yoyo girl."
We love to match!
I got so excited when my passport came last Friday!
It looked so awesome and
all official and patriotic
and I had a notion
that when I called Holland America
that they would say,
"Our librarian called in sick.
Can you go next Friday for her for seventy days?"
Hahaha. I'm such a dreamer Mr. Blog.
I snail mailed them an updated resume
and letters of recommendations and pictures.
The man did say that he would give all the information
to the HAL Club hiring manager
when she comes back from vacation next week.
So I went around the house and collected samples
of arts and crafts that I have taught either as a
substitute teacher or scout leader
and put them all in a box
and made a set of Russian Nesting dolls
out of paper mache.
Just in case I get an interview.
But you know what?
The Holland America Grand Voyage leaves today at 5:00PM.
It's only 9:30AM now, so if they call I can still make it.
Hahaha.
I'm such an optimist!
At least I have a really cool passport and
passport card.
Even if I'm not going anywhere.
So last night I got my first job offer of the 500 jobs I
have applied for this summer and fall.
It is to pull tickets for four hours at Husky football games
starting next month. It pays $8.00 an hour
which is minimum wage.
If I want it, I need to go to Lake City Way
to their offices to fill out forms and get screened.
I was pretty excited until Terry came home and said,
"One day a week? That isn't worth your time."
Well, I don't know about that Mr. Blog.
I think it sounds kinda fun.
I'm not a big football fan
but I do like and watch Husky football.
Both my parents went to the UW
and my Grandma Ringstrom worked there in the
registrar's office
and my cousins Steve, Larry, Debbie and Elizabeth
all graduated from there.
And I graduated from there in 2000!
Plus my mom LOVED husky football
and it makes me think of her warmly.
I have a few days to decide.
So I added two new school districts to my job hunt
this year; Edmonds and Lake Washington.
And I have added three search engines:
Craig's List, Monsterjobs.com and snagajob.com.
The only problem with applying for so many jobs is
that I now get rejected for hundreds of jobs
instead of a few dozen.
Good thing I have thick skin.
Applying to be a flight attendant for five years
was good practice since I got rejected
dozens and dozens of times until I got hired.
I have been working really hard to get hired
by Holland America Lines or HAL for short.
I took new First Aid and CPR class at the firehouse,
and got a new food handlers permit up in Edmonds
and went to Margo's Wednesday to learn the
PC VISTA and photo/movie making program.
I also have been doing my Jane Fonda tape
every day and limiting my calories to under 1,000 a day.
I got my hair done and I'm keeping nail strengthener on my nails
and I have been memorizing the information about the company.
They have a wonderful video of their mission statement that
I watch over and over again and the CEO and president,
Stern Kruse says, "We don't just do things right,
we do the right things."
He is talking about their programs like the deck walks
for the RACE FOR THE CURE, the volunteering staff does,
the high standards for recycling and lowering emissions
for the ships, the whale avoidance training for crew
and you would not believe the list of charities they
support right here in Seattle.
It's a mile long.
I know I have told you all this before
but I really want to work for them.
I like people
and I like hear their stories.
I like to serve people.
It makes me feel good to bring good cheer
to other people.
I love to make people laugh.
People sound so funny and endearing when they laugh.
So, at this point,
I think I may have been passed over for more jobs
than any other person in America.
I wonder if President Obama will
give me a trophy for trying so hard.
Just a little one
engraved with,
"Most Rejected Job Seeker in America."

No comments:

Post a Comment