Sunday, October 10, 2010

10/10/10 Foot In The Door

*Walks in slowly coughing and lies down*
Cold and flu season Mr. Blog.
The unexpected side effect of subbing.
I can't believe how germy my little customers are.
I treat them all with dignity and respect
so when I introduce myself, I always shake their tiny,
sticky hands
Bad idea.
No matter how many times I wash my hands I get sick.
Probably from the point-blank coughing and sneezing
that coats me for seven hours a day.
So yesterday Patty saw a job advertised under one of
her office worker searches and e-mailed it to me.
It was for a receptionist job down at the Holland America
corporate office headquarters
that we went to last week
on our way home from the job fair.
I met all the requirements except working a ten line phone line.
When my sister Heimy called she said she did that job once
and it would be a piece of cake for me.
So I went online and applied but it didn't seem like my
application was uploading to the website.
So do you know what I did Mr. Blog?
I whipped up a cover letter and updated resume
and raced out to the mailbox to make
sure Anthony got it for snail mail.
I tossed in a copy of my new job-seeker picture
in my nautical navy blue suit so they can see
that I take looking professional seriously.
I was thinking that if I could memorize
ten thousand addresses for mail sorting and delivery
at Bothell Post office in the eighties,
and the safety and security and service procedures
for eight different aircraft configurations at
Continental Airlines in the eighties and nineties
and all the math, science, Language Arts and
ten thousand years of history to be a school teacher
that maybe I could work a ten line phone line.
I hope so!
I am totally absorbed with going back to the
hospitality industry.
I love to serve people and make them happy.
And, while I love to teach, it is TOTALLY hazardous
to my health!

No comments:

Post a Comment