Tuesday, October 19, 2010

10/19/2010 The Older Lady From Nordstroms That Got Picked

*Dashes in and perches on the edge of the armchair*
Oh, I forgot to tell you why I feel so cheery Mr. Blog!
I woke up remembering an Alaskan Airlines flight attendant
interview that I went to down at the Sea Tac Red Lion Inn
around 1982.
There were hundreds of us well-groomed women in the lobby
and I sat in a circle of ten and we were chatting.
The oldest lady in our group looked to be around forty-five.
She was wearing a classy red and white stripped dress
instead of the obligatory navy blue interview suit
that the rest of us had on.
She was warm and friendly and said she worked at Nordstrom.
At the end of the interviews I noticed that she was one of
the handful that made it to the second round of interviews.
And I thought about her and Nordstroms and why women pay
double to shop there.
It is because of their, "The customer is always right." policy.
And that lady seemed to really represent that kind of background
of excellent customer service.
When I interviewed with the airlines and was rejected
dozens and dozens of times over five years,
I was a mail carrier.
Now a mail carrier is sort of a customer service job
but not like working at Nordstroms and
certainly not working as a flight attendant!
So at this interview,
I get to be the lady from Nordstroms.
The older lady that gets picked
because she knows all about excellent
customer service and how to give it
because I was a FLIGHT ATTENDANT
for eight years!
My pals at Continental used to tease me and call me
Connie Continental because I was so serious about
passing out pillows and blankets and magazines.
The food had to be hot
the drinks had to be cold
and the people had to feel special.
I felt like every flight I worked was my home
and I got so excited for my guests to arrive!
I couldn't wait to see them
and take them on vacation or to work
whatever they needed to do
I was there for them.
So next Tuesday, a week from today
I am going to be that older lady from Nordstroms
and I'm going to get picked!
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment