Saturday, October 30, 2010

10/30/2010 Cruise Line Job interview

*Walks in bouncily and lies down*
My goodness Mr. Blog!
My wish was granted this week and I had my
first cruise ship job interview downtown Tuesday.
I found it by surfing cruise line career websites.
If I get picked, I start work in Hawaii February 1st
for five months. Twenty seven day cruises.
Bonnie offered to drive me to Elliot Bay which was
shocking, but her husband doesn't want her to work
outside the home and she likes to leave their rural
home for a big adventure once in awhile. Lucky me!
She arrived at 7:30 and I had just finished
pouring myself into my Spanx-like undergarment
and suit. I was a very naughty kitten at Louise's
party Thursday night and paid dearly for it by not being able to
breath the next seven hours!
It was a brutally windy, rainy morning
and Elliot Bay looked like a vanilla milkshake!
I saw an interviewee get dropped off and in the time
it took her to cross the road to the hotel,
her hair looked like a Don King look a like.
I asked Bonnie if she didn't mind driving down
and turning around to go under the hotel entryway
and she did not mind one bit.
I hated to be a princess but this hairdo
put me back one hundred clams!
I got in and found the lower lobby of the Marriot
and it was around 8:30. Two people had just arrived
and one man was already inside our conference room.
I took my time starting my make up and hair touch up.
There was a magnifying mirror on an extensible arm
that was dandy. Wish I had one at home!
After primping for a solid hour I thought I might
be able to pass for forty seven or eight!
I went in the room at 9:30 and got a seat in the front
and about a dozen people had come in.
I chatted with the ladies behind me.
One was applying for youth staff and one to cook.
At 9:45 the lovely interviewer ladies came in and
greeted us and they were around my age.
The first thing she did was give us all silk leis!
That was inspirational since it was freezing outside.
One went to the lobby to sign in people while
the other set up her laptop spooled into the projector.
First she told us about the job and details
of the itinerary and Hawaii.
Then she said that if we did not have one year's
experience in the job we sought we need not
stay since there is no on ship job training.
I was so relieved since I've taught for six years.
After that she told us about the TWIC card we needed.
Transportation Worker Identification Card.
After the 9/11/2001 Bombing of the World Trade Centers
in New York, America strengthened its homeland security.
The TWIC card would allow us access to get to our ship.
Then she talked about the Coast Guard physical
and said not to worry, if she could pass it so could we!
She was really warm and friendly and funny.
I was shocked that half the people showed up
in blue jeans, with piercings or black nail polish.
There were about one hundred of us.
After an hour I was called with the first group of ten
to wait in the hall for a one on one interview.
I was very happy!
My last interview to get in the UW teacher college had
five people interviewing us!
At the airlines it was common for three people to interview
you and I did over fifty of those interviews.
I was called in by the other lady and she was so gracious.
I gave her my paperwork and she frowned slightly and said,
"I see you are a teacher. We want to entertain the children
more than teach them."
I felt like the floor was opening up to swallow me
when she said that and I started hyperventilating.
I told her I brought something to show her and very
slowly reached down to my tote bag on the floor
and brought out my Kwakiutl and Ecuadorian masks I had made.
I told her that I was a cub scout leader for ten years and
knew all kinds of games and arts and crafts.
She broke into a huge smile and started scribbling all over
her interview sheet. Then I told her as a PTA volunteer that
I had organized the school carnival for ten years
and she scribbled even more frantically.
I closed my mouth and smiled a small smile and
she looked up and said, "If I could hire you on the spot
I would. The youth staff director hires her staff.
Here is my business card and if you don't hear from her
within two weeks, e-mail me and I'll call her."
I asked if she could jot down the other nice lady's name
so I could send her a thank you card and she had
the biggest smile!
Then she put a tiny blue post it note on the top
of my application and I stood up and thanked her
and shook her hand and left.
Well you know I have been beating myself up lately
Mr. Blog for using all my extra energy volunteering
instead of getting a master's degree or something and
this interview made me realize that I had done what I loved.
I had helped people have fun
and feel good about themselves.
That is what I am really good at but I don't think of it
as a special skill set of any kind.
But maybe it is?
When I subbed the following day I was so excited to
get to work I was way too early.
I told the office manager about my interview
and she said she had been on a great cruise
with Royal Caribbean. When I got to the classroom
I looked at their website and there was a full page
ad that said, "Wanted: Imaginative Youth Staff!"
I was shocked and happy because I learned so much
at the interview about what they are looking for
and you know what Mr. Blog?
It is me.
I must have a thousand games and arts and crafts
rattling around in this old brain of mine.
So all day yesterday I dug through photographs of
fun scout games, carnival games I'd built etc.
I dashed to the UPS store and had them color copied
on sheets of paper that looked terrific.
Then I updated my cover letters and got them
all in three clear plastic folders for
Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean.
I put them in card stock priority mailers
and made it to the post office at 4:45.
The truck comes at five.
I got home and put away all the papers and pictures
and folded up my table and tucked it away.
Now you and I both know I am fifty-three Mr. Blog.
Several decades past the age of most new hires.
But now I have a dream.
The latest a full time teacher ever gets hire is October.
For the last seven Novembers I have spent the first
week in bed crying because I didn't get hired to teach.
I will tell you my dream.
I am standing at the door way of the Explorations Cafe.
The ocean is out the window of both sides
and I am all dressed up in a navy blue suit
greeting a middle-aged couple
and asking them,
"How may I help you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment