Wednesday, December 8, 2010

12/8/2010 The Joy Factor

I'm having a fake it 'till I make it day
Mr. Blog.
When I'd get cranky on the twelve hour flights
between Honolulu and Sydney Australia
after about eight hours with four to go,
I asked my friend Janet how she
coped so well and she told me to,
"Fake it 'till you make it."
She said if I formed my face into a smile
even if I didn't feel it,
people couldn't tell
and would smile back
and then I would feel joy
in my heart and
my smile WOULD reflect it.
I didn't believe it,
but I tried it,
and she was right!
So now, since she gave me that tip
in 1988,
anytime I see another human being,
I put my smile on whether I feel it or not
and when they smile back,
it turns on my
joy factor.
I know I have told you this before so
thanks for listening.
It gets so lonely stuck at the house.
I'm so used to carrying mail and flight attending
and subbing, that it is hard for me to
not have a place to go.
Although I do love our dumpy little house,
you know how much I hate housework.
I'd much rather work
and hire someone to clean.
So my Auntie Lois died last month.
She was my mom's step-sister and I didn't
have as much time with her as mom's sisters,
but she was always kind and I loved her.
In my job hunting frenzy
I did not get sympathy cards in the mail
so I am going to do that.
Right now.
I'm famous for my pity parties
but just because I'm underemployed
does not mean there are not people
that need love.
And compassion
and attention.
So, I will put one foot in front of the other
and remember Mr. Rodgers
and cope.
Because making other people feel good
is my specialty.
Doesn't pay very well,
but that's okay.
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment