Tuesday, June 22, 2010

6/22/2010 The WHO Convention in Puyallup

*Walks in and flops on couch*
Hi Mr. Blog, it is so good to see you!
I have a little tummy ache today but I wanted to tell you
about my great trip to Puyallup.
It started last Thursday with an anxiety attack
that immobilized me. I had a million worries
and couldn't seem to move.
So I called Brenda and she gave me a good pep talk.
I'm so glad I got over being annoyed with her after a month.
After her pep talk I jumped in my van and drove down I-405
just fine. I was listening to my soothing Wayne Dwyer CD
and his voice kept me calm.
When I got to the Renton S curves the car in front of me came
to a dead stop so I stopped too.
The pick-up truck behind me towing a 26 foot trailer
couldn't stop and swerved over onto the shoulder.
He missed flattening me like a bug by inches!
I made it to Puyallup and it looked so different than the last
time I was there with JoAnn in 1982.
My Grandma Ivy took us there in 1962 when I was six
and I won a package of bacon on a spin game.
I didn't see my hotel that I had a reservation for, but saw I
the Puyallup Motel a block from the fair grounds and went there
and canceled my other reservation since it was closer.
The Manager, Debbie, was so nice! I would stay there again!
I unpacked and headed over to the Ameriplex Building at three.
My table neighbor Pat was so wonderful. Her husband, Bob, is a retired
science teacher and was selling a great science book he wrote.
I was on the end and on the other side of them was Perdita,
who had written a book called, "The Word Garden."
It was the best children's book I have ever read for the two through
eight year olds and I have subbed for six years!
We set up until seven PM and I went to the motel
and watched silly TV, like "Burn Notice",
and others that Teddy and I enjoy at home.
I ate a can of tuna and bowl of noodles for dinner
and went to bed early.
When I got to the convention Friday morning I was shocked and astounded
at the marvelous booths and met fantastic vendors
from all over the country! Vendors came from Texas,
California, Oregon and even Wisconsin.
There was every curriculum under the sun for sale
for home school families from math, science,
language arts to art!
There were many reps. for summer camps
that I had never heard of and an online school
called Laurel Springs. The Laurel Springs sales
rep. Amber, told me all about it and it sounded so
wonderful that I applied for a job there when I got home.
Guess what Mr. Blog? I had the only original board game
set up for kids to play at the convention!
The home school families are very close, God-loving,
family-oriented families and I was glad I dressed up
in dresses and nice shoes every day since
they were all dressed nicely too.
They were all so warm and friendly and one little five year
old girl, Isabel, stayed with me all day for both days.
In between my shoppers she invented ten ways to play
my game, none of which involved reading.
She was so adorable with her long light brown ringlets
and shining blue eyes and baby teeth set in a tiny
heart-shaped face.
I wished she was my daughter.
We would just spin and count and move the cars
and laugh and laugh all day.
Late Friday morning I found a cute blond toddler in a green dress
looking for her mom. They had shopped at my booth earlier
and she remembered me and came to tell me she was lost.
I took her soft, tiny hand and walked her to the lost and found.
It is probably the only huge event where a child could
get lost and walk around safely for hours!
I had such great sales and it was a big morale booster.
Every single parent of a teen was amazed and thrilled
with my driving game and bought one!
But ten families with younger kids bought the game
to play like Monopoly because it ended up accidentally fun
without anyone needing to pass the driving test!
There was one lovely brunette teen girl that wanted
the game so bad but her mom said her husband had just lost
his job so they couldn't afford it.
But guess what Mr. Blog?
I gave that girl a game.
Because you know what?
Life is not about just money.
If my game brings joy to that darling girl,
that is an excellent sale in my mind.
The gift of joy and goodwill.
At the end of the convention I had sold eighteen games
and earned $360.00! Of course, after expenses, I only made
forty dollars, but I still felt happy.
When I left the show I was going to go visit my friend Riel
but I got on highway 512 West instead of East and ended
up South of Tacoma instead of in Auburn.
I was happy to see the sign for I-5 and jumped
on it to creep in gridlock for two hours home.
I felt a little poopy by then and my sore throat and headache
were back and I was so grateful to see my little family
and crawl in my own bed.
The tired vendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment