Thursday, November 11, 2010

11/11/10 My Birthday Part Two

Wow, Mr. Blog,
I am having a serious nap attack.
After I saw you yesterday, I had an e-mail
from Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines
that my application had been PROCESSED.
Being processed is so much better than being
REJECTED!
Woo hoo for being processed.
I heard a commotion outside and the department of
corrections was weed-eating in front of our house.
I went out and offered them coffee or Kool-Aid but
they didn't want any.
They didn't know our house was there and they were supposed to be
working in front of the park but you know what?
They worked for another hour in front of our house
hedge trimming and raking!
Our house looks so spiffy now!
It was hot and sunny of all things and when Patty called
she said she had time to go for lunch and coffee.
Brenny had sent me $25.00 for my birthday and
so Patty and I could go to Toshi's for lunch.
I had the beef shish-ka-bobs and they were so good.
Then Kim, the owner, came over and gave me a bouquet of
the long stem Korean candies.
She said, "I think it is your birthday soon."
I told it was today and she gave me a big hug and smile.
Then Patty and I went and sat on the patio of the
Kenmore Starbucks and had huge fancy drinks.
I love the gingerbread one and Angela had given me
a Starbucks card for my birthday.
We basked in the sun and drank coffee for hours
and it was so pleasant.
When I got home I dug right in calling retirees for
JoAnn's union presidency run.
I got 36 confirmed votes before the kids came home
and it got too loud to make calls.
Pam and Al came over and they brought two
pumpkin pies and sang me happy birthday with Terry.
I let the kids go visit friends 'cause I like
the peace and quiet sometimes.
We had a lovely pie and hot tea party and when I blew out
my candle I did wish for a cruise ship job.
Brenny says I get special birthday powers this month
and I hope she is right!
I got great presents: my fav pink Dove soap from Pam
and an apron to die for from Suzanne and handkerchiefs
and a cool box from JoAnn.
I am such a freak Mr. Blog.
I put my Dove soap and new hankies
in my closet with my cruise ship supplies.
I have a huge stash of gum and other things
that are brand new to take along.
After Pam and Al left I made Terry watch,
'Fried Green Tomatoes' with me and I had forgotten
how sad and traumatic parts of the story were.
I went through three hankies!
The kids came home and I asked them to watch TV in the
basement so Terry and I could have a nice date.
Now this morning the weather was back to gray and cold!
I made the Ts all waffles and eggs and then started getting stuff
ready for the Saint Brendan's Arts and Crafts Fair this weekend.
At noon, Terry and I drove to Lynnwood to use the IXTAPA
Mexican restaurant gift card Angela had given me
and that was lovely.
Fun to have a date with my darling husband once in awhile.
We zipped down to Aurora Village and Terry let me pick out
some sneakers for my birthday gift.
I had never seen Dr. Scholl's brand shoes but they
were so comfortable and all leather in white.
You'll never guess where I put them Mr. Blog?
In my closet of cruise ship job goodies!
I won't even take them out of the box until
it is time for my first shift.
I know, I know.
How do I know if I'll get hired?
I don't.
But thinking about just the possibility
gets me out of bed in the morning.
I swear to God it looks like it is going to snow Mr. Blog!
I looked all over the internet trying to find out when
the earliest snow in Seattle happened
but I couldn't find out and gave up.
The earliest I can remember was the Thanksgiving
of 1963. I was seven years old and we had dinner with
all my aunts and uncles and cousins at my Auntie Ann's big
house in Laurelhurst.
A few flakes started down and I was going with cousin Care
and little Boo and baby Danny back to Cougar Mountain
and when we got out to Cougar Mountain the snow
got deeper and deeper and my cousins fell asleep
but I was watching out the front window between Uncle Frank
and Auntie Jean and as we started up the big hill
it got icier and icier and steeper and steeper
and it was so dangerous and thriller.
Then near the top, someone had made a snowball and it
started down the hill and got bigger and bigger until
it was the size of a garbage can and
I thought it was going to hit us!
Funny that I don't remember what Uncle Frank did,
but we all lived and got up to their house way
up near the top of Cougar Mountain.
So, Mr. Blog, do you know when the earliest snow in
lower Seattle has ever fallen?
I really, really need to know!
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment