Tuesday, April 6, 2010

4/6/10 Census/Africa/Aids/HIV/Gates Foundation

*Skips in merrily*
Good Morning Mr. Blog.
I slept so well last night it is criminal!
I got a call last night from the census test scheduler
that they ended up short-handed for renumerators and they had used a
traced my inquiry call from last week and used a reverse phone directory
to to find me and invite me to take the exam Thursday.
I was so surprised to find out they earn $18.00 an hour!
Nearly what I make as a teacher after suffering through five years at the
University of Washington. Ugh. Still have a student loan.
Do you think I wasted my time and money on college Mr. Blog?
Well, it is all inconsequential when you think about the AIDS
epidemic in Africa. I had read about it over the years in the
newspaper and saw that the Gates Foundation had begun to help
Botswana and other countries get medicines recently.
I just spent an hour reading a heart-breaking article about it.
I wonder if Alexander McCall-Smith knows
how his fictional story in Botswana moves
people like myself, to investigate Africa and AIDS?
I was reading, "The Good Husband of Zebra Lane"
last night and Precious goes to investigate a medical mystery
and a small orphan boy reaches up to her.
She picks him up and holds him and there is a mention
of many orphans in Africa.
Well, I surmised there might be if they had an AIDS epidemic
but never studied the issue very carefully.
Now that I have friends in Botswana,
my lifelong interest in Africa has been rekindled
so I did some digging around
down the hall in the history room and just finished
an hour of reading about the history of AIDS/HIV.
I am so upset Mr. Blog!
Over twenty-two million people have HIV or AIDS in Africa!
That is completely unacceptable!
Every single one of those sick people needs medicine.
I now would like to run an orphanage in Botswana.
I don't have any money though.
I need to work harder to get a teaching job and my business going
so I can build an enormous orphanage for every single orphaned
child in Africa. I wonder if Africa would let me adopt orphaned children?
I know I am the wrong color and most people there
would not like me. I wonder if there is a pill I can take
to change colors so I can help those children?
It is very distressing Mr. Blog.
Many of the religious leaders are against birth control.
Of course the Pope is rich and can't have children.
If he was poor and had AIDS and had to watch
his son die of starvation, he would promote health access
and the world could improve over night.
I believe in God Mr. Blog.
I believe his son died for our sins.
But all texts are subject to interpretation.
The bible has been translated millions of times and who
is to say that God did not want people to have access to
medical help? Who thinks God could accept suffering?
Well, I'd better get going to try to hustle up some initiative
to find a way to stop AIDS and HIV.
Here is the article Mr. Blog.
You can read it later.
Ciao *hands him article*
http://www.avert.org/history-aids-africa.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment