Saturday, September 5, 2009

9/5/09 DECA Convention, Selling at Stop Lights

So much to think about lately Mr. Blog. The Director of the Washington State DECA called a few days ago. She wants to schedule me to talk to all the DECA advisers in Washington State at the annual convention at the Meydenbaur Center in Bellevue October 27th and tell them about my driving game. I have a VERY good gut feeling about this activity. I have tons of public speaking training going back to Roosevelt high school. I was president of the Latin Club, the JCL in 1975.
I had to go around to all the junior highs and convince kids to sign up for Latin at high school.
My pal Marie McGarry was my VP and she drove us in her dad's old blue metallic cadillac convertible. It had this big fins on the back. She was so smart even back then that she won the national scholarship to tour Washington DC and meet President Gerald Ford. Her dad gave her tickets to the Seattle Super Sonics and we drove that big car downtown to the collosium. Great game. Slick Watts, Downtown Freddie Brown, Sleepy-Eyed Sam, Spud Webb, DJ.
Then in 1990, when I was a flight attendant for Continental, they wanted 40 people to be trained as motivational seminar speakers. I was picked with 39 others from 2,000 applicants.
It was run by SAS airline and The Quality Service Institute in Houston Texas. It was great to live in the Galleria hotel and we trained 16 hours a day for a few months to learn how to motivate people. Then they decided they could only afford 20 speakers and I got cut. I learned so much. Remind me to tell you about it sometime.
So naturally on October 27th I plan to knock their socks off! If a few hundred DECA advisors sick their talented and energetic teens on our game it could be our big break.
I owe it to Terry and Connie to get some serious cash coming in as soon as possible.
So yesterday Terry and I went to visit his sister Heidi at the nursing home. She was in a car accident 15 years ago and broke her back and has to live there and be in a wheelchair.
We went to Burger King in Edmonds for lunch and Terry needed to walk across the street to go to the 7-11 for some chew. It was a sunny day so I went to the sidewalk with my game and looked for teenagers. Two fifteen year old Mexican boys came down the sidewalk and I accosted them with my game but they didn't mind. They liked the attention and I gave them mini-racers to keep and candy and a handful of business cards. Then a car load of teens was stopped at the red light so I gave them my sales pitch since the others didn't have their licenses yet. Unfortunately the light turned green but as they rolled away I threw a handful of candy and business cards in the window. Next a younger teen on a skateboard was sailing along and I stopped him and asked if he had time to look at my game but he said he was in a hurry. I gave him my card and a piece of candy. When he saw the card had a skateboard on it he had the biggest smile. Heidi was in good spirits and we had a nice visit in her sunny courtyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment