Thursday, August 13, 2009

8/13/09 Mr. Blog E-Therapist Wholesale/Retail Lesson

It was a very very bad day Mr. Blog. First I was so excited and emotionally high at the thought of dropping off my first big order of six games that I was sure I'd vomit on my feet.
I got to the post office and mailed Carol McConnel's game first to Dallas. She ordered it over a month ago on our website with PayPal. Just having one order kept me going for the frustrating weeks that followed as prototype after prototype had folding problems. I will be indebted to her forever for showing me faith first, not just with cheap words, but with cash.
A first sale can make or break the attitude of a new businessperson and she made me believe that I could be a success when I wasn't yet convinced myself. I mailed her game first.
$3.26 postage.
Then Terry came with me to Ostroms and I bought a buffpuff pad and put my box of six games on the counter. I said, "Here are the games you ordered Phyllis and the invoice is right on the box."
She said, "Oh good, they are small." I leaned over and pulled out the display I had made and said, "Would you like the display I made?" She said, "Oh no, that's not necessary."
I leaned down to put it away and she said, "Is it free?"
I pulled it out and stood back up with a big smile and said, "Yes it is. I have a mount for it and a small road and sample cars for the kids to play with."
She was very happy to take it at that point.
Terry and I went outside and high-fived at the first wholesale sale at a retail store.
Not just any store! Ostroms is the crown-jewel gift shop in Kenmore with free gift-wrapping.
We were so excited as we drove home. I felt like I'd won the lottery!
Then the phone rang.
BZ called from Ostroms and said the wholesale was too high that they couldn't sell it for double $19.99 and if we wanted them to carry it we'd have to go down by half. She explained that the wholesale retail cornerstone is 50% mark-up. She was really nice about it and I thanked her.
Terry and I think we should keep a few there for advertising even if we only make a few dollars a game. The brilliant green laminated artwork is such an eye-grabber!
Connie called and she did not want to sell them there for that low a price. I ran out of cash months ago and we are using her small loan now so she is in the driver's seat on this.
It was just hard going from so high to so low in such a short amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment