Saturday, August 15, 2009

8/15/09 Friendship First

So the 13th, Thursday was awful Mr. Blog. I went to bed thinking, "What is important in this Nixpix business? I was pretty hysterical about my wholesale retail lesson."
I woke up and called Connie and said, "You are more important to me as a friend and business partner than any sale anywhere. I'm going down to Ostroms to pick up those games."
She said, "I can't believe you said that. Gretchen, Let's leave those there because I think you really want to." It was one of those inspirational moments that really touched my heart.
Geez Mr. Blog. Do I have the best business partner in the world or what?! So then I was inspired to call Binder Bob of Trendex in Minnesota. I wanted to know if his manufacturing plant could do a traditionally-sized game board half the regular thickness and weight.
Steve found this company and had been working on an 18x18" game board on his own time. He had told me he had a gut feeling about going to a traditional game board for awhile now on this United States of America version of the game.
Bob is amazing and has forty-five years in the print business. We talked a half hour and I said I'd send him a sample.
Steve whipped up a non-disclosure contract and sent it to him and I went to the store and got stamps and mailed him his sample game from my favorite store on the planet. Kenmore Safeway.
So then my grade school pal Molly McClean shows up and we had a total blabathon. I've know her since Bryant elementary in 1966. Turns out she was an accountant for Golden Grains before getting debilitated by MS. She knew all kinds of business stuff I had never even heard of. So she thought my bonfire was last night but it is tonight and it worked out great to spend time together! She slept over and then took off to visit relatives.
Connie got here at noon to pick up game parts to assemble at home and I had lost the laminated panels! We tore the house apart for an hour. Then I saw them on the end table next to the couch. They were in a small box with a World Book on them to keep them flat and on top of that I had placed my two foot diameter round spinner holder from the rummage sale.
I thought they had gone out in the trash or something. $326.88 worth of laminated game tops!
So two hours later I am exhausted from thinking they were gone and taking a nap until time to get ready for my bonfire.
Oh-I got an e-mail from the Director of the Washington State Transportation Department that
they got their free sample of the game and loved it and they are forwarding it to the safety division of their department. She said she would have bought it for her daughter two years ago if it had been available and called it a "great idea."

No comments:

Post a Comment