Wednesday, January 20, 2010

1/20/10 You Get What You Need

*Walks in and lies down*
Hi Mr. Blog,
I'm starting to perk up a bit. My muscles don't ache so much today.
So I had wanted to go to the 100 year centennial of the Boy Scouts of America
I started as a den leader in 1999. I had a vision of Troy and Teddy
being Boy Scouts and flying back East to go to the jamboree at Fort AP Virginia.
Well, the boys outgrew scouts and I retired as a den leader after ten years,
but I still wanted to go to the jamboree as a visitor to celebrate
what I consider the best global youth organization
that is in the business of growing good citizens.
I decided I would not have a way to pay back the $1,000.00 I would have to charge to go.
Then my pal from Englewood Colorado, Jan Bennison, called Monday night.
We talked for three hours about Lloyd and our families
and everything that has happened since we met in Houston Texas
at Continental Airlines inflight training in 1987.
Hearing about the illness of one of her family members
made me stop and think for a long time.
I decided that while I have perfect health I should go to that jamboree.
Teddy wants to go too. He is adventurous like I am.
Then yesterday I got my charge card bills for all the game parts and realized I could barely
pay them. I realized there is no way we could afford to go and was very sad.
I woke up now hearing the chorus of the Rolling Stones song, *Sings*
If you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need."
So I decided I won't get what I want this time.
I have what I need.
Food, shelter, perfect health, my little family and God.
Well, I'd better run. Now that I'm feeling a little better
the million things I need to do are waiting for me.
I keep dreaming that I see Earl and Winston playing in the back yard.
Their orange coats contrasting with the dark green grass.
Then I wake up and they are still gone.
Makes it hard to go forward
when my heart is heavy
missing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment