Monday, March 29, 2010

3/20/10 The Utility Room From Hell & The Sad Story of Heidi Nixon

*Walks in cheerfully and lies down*
You should see my utility room Mr. Blog.
It could get a trophy for ugliest utility room in history.
There is junk from twenty years tossed in there.
Like old metal detectors and a trashed tent with
poles sticking out of the bottom of a black garbage sack.
I just cleaned it ten years ago too! Ugh.
Then when Lyle died seven years ago
some of his and mummy's yard stuff got tossed on top.
Well-guess who I ran into down the hall in the common room?
A friend of Connie's named Gretchen Ranicke-Fines.
Pronounced Finesses. You might remember her
from the Great Kitten Mix-Up. She saved Earl's life.
Turns out her specialty is cleaning and organizing
and she owns a business that does so.
She'll be here in a few hours to help me tackle
my utility room. I'll let you know how it goes.
So yesterday I went to church and I could not believe
I had forgotten it was Palm Sunday!!!
The kids were just carrying the palms in when I arrived.
I remember Troy and Teddy doing that when they were little.
I saw many women in the choir that I had met on the church retreat.
Gosh, they are such talented musicians! Pam, Robin and Yvonne.
Debbie led the youth group in a great Palm Sunday dramatization.
The first song, "Ain't No Rock Gonna Shout For Me"
made me want to jump up and dance!
I had to plant my butt on the pew to keep down.
Afterwards, I popped into Saint Vincent DePaul and looked for books
for me and Teddy and found a few. But the important thing
was I found new Easter stuff for Terry's sister Heidi.
Fifteen years ago she went on a vacation to Oregon
and missed a turn on a cliff.
She broke her back and was paralyzed from the waist down.
She was thirty years old.
So she has been living in nursing homes since then.
We visit her once a month or so and I like to make her holiday gifts.
So yesterday I found a darling new Easter basket and some
bunnies and eggs that I can fill with candy for her.
I is just so sad to see her so young living there.
It breaks my heart.
But on to a cheerier topic...
I went down to Third Place Books hoping to find and buy
the sequel to my new favorite book,
THE FIRST LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY
and you will never guess what Mr. Blog.
*Waits for him to guess*
There are like eight more books in the series!!!
There is NOTHING I LIKE BETTER THAN SERIES STORIES!!!
Way back to Henry Huggins in 1964 when I found out
stories could even have sequels.
Oh, the joy of sharing my imagination with people I love
and finding out about their lives.
And, who in a million years would think of writing about
Botswana?! Alexander McCall-Smith, that's who.
He is my hero!
Funny that he is an old white man whose imagination
powers the soul of a middle-aged black woman!
So, thank God for Third Place Books
because they sell used books in mint condition
and I was able to buy the next five books
for a song.
I had run out of cash and had to charge the books
but it was an emergency situation.
I prefer reading to television
and when I'm on a series
you'd better look out.
I just want to know everything about Precious and her life.
Like when I went to that church retreat.
I was so eager to find out about the interesting stories
that everyone had and there were so real page-turners!
The books are short Mr. Blog so I can read one a day
if I go to bed at seven which I like to do on these rainy days anyway.
Well, thanks for listening.
*Looks over and sees he has nodded off in his chair*

No comments:

Post a Comment